The Eurocodes are now the British Standards for the design of structures. An understanding of Eurocode, Eurocode 1 (EC1) is essential for building designers to be able to design using the material Eurocodes (EC2 to EC6). This course will explain how to use EC1 to determine the design loads and actions on a bridge.
Aims & Objectives
On completion of this course delegates will know how to determine self-weight,
imposed, wind, traffic, thermal and accidental actions on a bridge through the use of lectures and workshop problems.
After this course delegates will:
- Appreciate essential information about the Eurocodes to enable loads to be determined.
- Be able to establish the actions on a bridge due to:
Traffic loads (Including road and rail, and effect of traffic on buried and retaining structures)
- Understand how to design a structure to resist accidental actions.
- Be ready to use the material Eurocodes
- Introduction to Eurocodes
- Densities, self-weight and imposed loads (EN 199111).
- Wind loading (EN 199114) – including design exercise
- Thermal actions (EN 199115) – including design exercise
- Traffic loading (EN 19912) – including design exercise (Covering all loading, including road and rail loading)
- PD 6694 – Recommendations for the design of structures subject to traffic loading to BS EN 19971
- Actions during execution (EN 199116)
- Accidental actions (EN 199117)
This course is intended as an introduction to Eurocodes for structural engineers who design bridge structures.
Candidates should bring a calculator, pencil, ruler and eraser.
Days (hrs) 1 day (6 hours) IPD/CPD
Phone: 01256 768588
Alan Wood & Partners
Lend Lease Design